Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Belle Plaine Eco-Fest 2015

We went to the second annual Eco-Festival at the Bartlett Arboretum over the weekend. Kyle and Denae had brought their tiny house (nearly completed). They gave a talk--but we missed about half of the talk because I took a wrong turn and got stuck on the turnpike for an extra 13 miles on my way there.
It was good to see a tiny house--we got to spend more time walking around in it than we had spent in most of the tiny houses we saw at the Jamboree. Maybe a galley kitchen would work, and not feel too cramped. (it felt cramped at the Jamboree with all these people climbing in and out).
I also talked to some people who are planning to build--and also picked Kyle's brain about how he built it, and why he chose different options. One thing that he did was use spray foam over rigid board insulation, for a good, tight seal. It got me interested, so I looked it up when I got home.

There was also a folk music concert going on, and the PA system was bike powered. I helped pedal for the last 10 minutes (but this video is way shorter than that):

Foam-It Green was the insulation that Kyle used, and after looking it up, and looking at the options, I decided to at least put a layer in the floor. But to do the whole house looked prohibitively expensive. After a while I figured out that I was probably wrong on my estimates, and figured I'd call the company in the morning, and see if they could talk me into it.

On Monday, I called the foam company, and they were able to answer my questions: I would have to change the nozzle if I stopped spraying for 30 seconds. I could shut the system down after I did the floor, and then do the walls in a couple weeks or months. And I only needed two, large foam kits. They were about $700 each, shipped. So I ordered them. I'm having a work day Saturday, so I'm trying to get everything ready by then.

I have also ordered screws for the decking, and found that I could only get the 19/32" Advantech if I bought 45 sheets--so I will get the 8 sheets of 23/32" Advantech, of which they have plenty in stock.
I hope that the European drain and trap (a bottle trap) arrives in time. If not, I think I can construct something out of street Ells that should fit under the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment